Blog Series: Why We Love Choir, by the First-Years

I'm proud to announce that we will be having another blog series! We asked everyone in choir to contribute a couple lines about why they love choir. Our First-Years have a lot to say:



WHY DO YOU LOVE CHOIR? WHY DID YOU JOIN?

"I joined choir to find people who love to SING!!!" - Izzy

"I love choir because it combines music with teamwork! The moment when we all sing the same vowel perfectly is worth it." - Zhou

"Everyone in choir is very helpful. Everyone is excited to sing every rehearsal. Choir de-stresses me!" - Geralle

"I always look forward to coming to choir. I have made so many new friends, plus we get to make beautiful music!" - Hannah

"I love choir because it's such an incredible, wonderful family that has so much fun making music together. My favorite pieces are Barso Re and the Magnificat." - Emma A.

"Choir is an escape from all the stress from classes and homework." - Hea Jung

"Cookies. Happy Birthday Song. Meet a lot of people." - Violet

"I love the friendships I have made through choir! Everyone is like a sister. I love the time we spend hanging out together outside of rehearsal" - Eloisa

"I enjoy choir because we get to sing really interesting pieces that I wouldn't find otherwise. Also, the way our voices harmonize is really amazing sometime, like in Tundra." - Xi

"I joined choir because I love to sing and I like getting to share this love with my friends." - Abby

"I love choir because it's a great de-stresser at the end of the day!" - Emma M.

"All the friends I've made create such an amazing community for my first year." - Cathleen

"I like being a part of the beautiful voice." - Beibei

"I love the sense of community." - Grace

"I joined choir for the chance to appreciate music with other women who were just as passionate about music and singing as I am.  My favorite memory thus far has been the Choir bonding session where we made delicious pumpkin cupcakes in the Lakehouse!" - Michaella

"I like being in choir because it is a group of people who, at least in part, understand music the way I do. It seems that understanding music is just another way of understanding the world as a whole, and I just like the way that choir people think." - Cayla




WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE PIECES?

"Barso Re speask to my soul." - Cathleen

"Snowforms, and Barso Re." - Grace

"It's a tie between Barso Re, J'entends le moulin and Tundra.  The first two have so much energy, and the third has a lot of emotion." - Emma S.

"I've really enjoyed a lot of our music, but my favorite right now is Barso Re. It's something different and it is so fun and upbeat." - Sara

"The music we sing has the ability to influence moods. When we sing "Snowforms", I become the snow, my mind frozen and sleepy. When we "Baare So", I become the shifting rain, energized and awake. Future Reference: never sing "Snowforms" when you are tired. You will fall asleep." - Victoria


 

ANYTHING ELSE YOU'D LIKE TO SAY?

"The exposure we get to all of the international music is truely phenomenal. Never did I imagine I'd be singing in eight different languages for one concert!" - Ismet

"Choir is hard - you have to remember to breathe correctly, enunciate correctly, and pronounce correctly.  You have to keep the right beat and sing the right notes and watch the music and watch the conductor. And you have to do this all at once! But when we finally stand together and let our voices pour out the music becomes our life and soul, and there could be nothing more amazing than that." - Leah




FINALLY, A POEM, BY JACQUELINE

A first-years life is full of stress
with jobs and psets, orgs and tests
and yet, through this estrogen-y mess
I know that I'm so very blessed:

In a chapel by the lake,
a world of apingauts and charpentiers,
Magnificat and Barso Re
doth magnify my soul and make my day

In this space I'm present and free,
part of a buzzing family,
to sing and laugh so happily
I am a Wellesley choirbee!



Want to learn more about all these apingauts, Barso Re's, and charpentiers? Come to the 49th Annual Dober Concert on Sunday, November 11 at 1 pm. Meet all our new choirbees, and see and hear why they love choir!

Comments

Popular Posts