Meet the Choirbee of the Week: Emma S!


  1. Hometown:  Originally San Jose, CA, and now Shoreline, WA.
  2. Favorite musical artist:  I love far too many musical artists to a single favorite, but at the moment I can’t stop listening to Vienna Teng.
  3. Favorite song to put you in a happy mood:  Right now?  “Stuck on You,” by Elvis Presley.
  4. Who would star in a film made about your life?  I have no idea, but if Aubrey Plaza offered I would say yes with zero hesitation.
  5. What’s the last book you read for fun?  Galapagos, by Kurt Vonnegut
  6. What’s a song that always gets stuck in your head?  It varies, but lately “John the Revelator” has been on a loop.  (Come to Dober!)
  7. What is something you can’t live without?  If I stopped writing—personal essays, short stories, rambling theories about characters, scripts for radio pieces—I would probably shrivel up like and die like an insect.
  8. If you could have fancy brunch with anyone (living or dead) who would it be and why?  My grandfather, Ronald Stelter.  He passed away before I was born, but I’ve heard a lot about him.  I would have liked to have met him.
  9. What’s your favorite food?  Too many favorites!  But I will say that coffee, cucumbers, hummus, hard boiled eggs and ice cream are important staples of my diet.
  10. Who is your personal hero/heroine:  There are a number of writers whose work has inspired me.  This isn’t a complete list, but I really look up to Margaret Atwood, J.K. Rowling, Stephen King, Anne Lamott and Aaron Sorkin.
  11. What movie could you watch over and over?  I love way too many movies to have a single favorite, but I tend to rewatch the Lord of the Rings trilogy on a six-month rotation.
  12. If you could visit any place in the world, where would you go?  Istanbul.  Or Scotland.  It’s a toss-up.
  13. If you could go back and visit any time period, what time would you travel to and why?  The end of the 19th century.  There was so much crazy stuff going on during that time.
  14. What is your favorite word?  “Shrugged.”  People do way too much of it in my stories.
  15. Something people wouldn’t guess by looking at you is:  Although I don’t study it, I’m very interested in politics.
  16. Why is a raven like a writing desk?  They both involve schemes.  Thirteen ravens is a conspiracy.  Writers spend their days plotting.


Comments

Popular Posts