Blog Series: Why We Love Choir, by the Juniors

We asked the juniors what their favorite memories and moments have been of their past years in choir. Here's why they love choir!



·     "Music has always been a big part of my life in a number of different ways, but one of my favorite ways to experience music is through song.  My favorite memory comes from Choir Tour 2011, when we were in Nashville.  We all went to Lonny's karaoke bar and sang country songs (which I love) and hung out together all night.  It was so fun and we got to spend time together all doing something we love in a really fun environment. My favorite song that we've sung is "Tidings of Great Joy."  I love Christmas music, but instead of being a traditional carol, this piece has lots of syncopation while still including text from the Bible story of Jesus' birth." - Kendall

      "I love catching up with friends at choir dinner!" - Emma

"My favorite choir memory is tour! Both from first year and sophomore year. Traveling with a group of women that all love to sing together is such an amazing experience. Not only are our concerts highlights, but even the smallest moments make tour memorable. I’ll always remember the benefit concert we did in New Orleans and how much the people appreciated our generosity. It really showed us how we can make a difference as a choir with our music. My favorite piece would probably be the Rachmaninoff Vespers. The fact that it was a cappella made it so difficult, but really added to the choral intensity of the piece." - Alyssa

"My favorite memory of choir is singing all together on the steps of the Parthenon in Nashville - getting to do such a fun and gutsy thing during a week of incredible memories with amazing friends during the Choir Tour 2011.The Witches Chorus from Verdi's Macbeth has been my favorite piece that we've sung. It appealed to my wicked nature, both in subject and my inner diva during performance. I'm so excited about having so many new friends to make! And singing fabulously challenging pieces in such great new languages; I had never ever heard Hungarian before this!" - Lily

     "So many people from so many different places who all share a common love!" - Emmy

·     "I joined choir because I love to sing, especially with friends. I also wanted to learn more about quality music and harmony. My favorite choir memory is going to the karaoke during the New Orleans (etc.) tour. I absolutely loved Mozart's Requiem. Working on and mastering a huge piece is satisfying and extremely enjoyable. Plus, it's one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever been exposed to. I'm very excited for the Bollywood piece--learning different styles is always fun!" - Erika

·     "We are one, each within the other... It isn't paradise, but it's Home." - Michelle R.

·     "My favorite piece that we have performed was the Rachmaninoff Vespers. I absolutely loved the complex and beautiful texture of the piece, and the melodies were gorgeous! We had a lot of fun in our rehearsals, and it came together beautifully." - Sarah H.

"Soooo. .. there was this one time in Portugal where the choir was enjoying this lovely lunch in a small, adorable restaurant.  The lunch was fantastic, and as it was winding down, suddenly, on the TV, this soap opera (it had to have been a soap opera.  The opening credits had pink and purple fireworks exploding into hearts) comes on the tv. Before I, or any other choir member realizes, the entire group is watching this soap opera.  As we are watching, we see this couple making out. . for a really long time.  When they have finally stopped, this other guy wants into the room.  At that moment, everyone in the choir must have had the same thought (or a very similar thought) which was:  Oh my gosh, she is totally cheating on that guy and just got caught! At which point, every single girl in choir (so 42 of us?) lets out an "OHHHHHH!!!!!"  You know, the "oh snap" or "Oh burn" kind of "Oh".  We scared everyone in the restaurant who wasn't in our group: the waiters, the owner, other guests, our tour guide. It was terrible, because we were such a nuisance, but it was very, very funny.  I just cracked up and I still laugh to this day." - Kellen

      "I love choir because everyone loves to sing and is so friendly. It's such a family!" - Michiko

      "I love the community! We are all brought together under our love for music, and from there you developed friendships that will last a lifetime. I have learned so much from older choirbees (like my big sisters, Kelly and Alex!), and I hope to create the same loving environment and continue the traditions that welcomed me my first-year!" - Emily
      
      "I love choir because it's the perfect break from other hectic things going on at Wellesley, and the people are awesome!" - Michelle B.

      "My favorite pieces have been 'I am not yours' and 'In Remembrance.' I'm a sucker for sappy songs. I also love the SATB pieces we've sung. I always forget what singing with tenors and basses is like, and I tear up a little when we warm up with them at first. Sappily surprised! I also joined choir because I was nervous I wouldn't be able to sing in the shower at college." - Hannah

      "Because a singing family is the best kind of family!" - Katie

Comments

Popular Posts