Choirbee of the Week: Ciara Cheli-Colando '20

This week’s Choir Bee of the Week is Ciara Cheli-Colando ’20! Ciara has been instrumental in organizing and leading sectionals for the soprano sections. As a choir scholar, she sometimes conducts the choir during rehearsal, which is exactly what she did this past week. Let’s get to know Ciara!

1. Where are you originally from? 
Arcata, California: a small town in the redwoods of NorCal.

2. What is your major? 
I'm majoring in Music and planning to minor in South Asian Studies.

3. Who is your all-time favorite musical artist? 
Josh Groban and Sara Bareilles are my two biggest musical role models, though I love to listen to a lot of different performers and genres.

4. What is a song that always gets stuck in your head? 
Too many choral pieces to name... especially Reeds of Innocence.

5. What is your favorite piece the Choir has performed this year? Why? 
Stars is definitely one of my favorite pieces, and working on it with Ēriks Ešenvalds this fall was a great experience!

6. Who is your personal hero/heroine? 
Michelle Obama and Hillary Clinton are two women who instantly come to mind since they have both challenged existing power structures in order to achieve their goals.

7. What is your favorite spot to hang out on campus? 
Jewett 138 (my favorite practice room)

8. What is something you can’t live without? 
Boba! I'm a recent convert, but it has quickly become a staple of my life.

9. What’s your favorite food? 
Good Middle Eastern food, especially mujadara and mint lemonade.

10. If you could have fancy brunch with anyone (living or dead) who would it be and why? 
I would love to have brunch with the Obamas because I would like to ask them both about their professional lives, and because I'm curious about how they approach law and policy.

11. What movie could you watch over and over? 
One Last Dance with Patrick Swayze.

12. If you could visit any place in the world, where would you go? 
I would love to travel to Beirut, to see where my grandfather spent his childhood.

13.What is your favorite thing about the Wellesley College Choir? 
I really appreciate the opportunity to hone my choral skills in the midst of so many talented and kind singers.

14. What is your favorite word? 
Uisce, the Irish Gaelic for water.

15. Something people wouldn’t guess by looking at you is: 
I'm currently studying three languages: Hindi, Urdu, and Arabic... I really enjoyed the opportunity to sing in Arabic with the choir this semester.

Comments

Popular Posts