Choirbee of the Week: Maria Wollin '20

Our final Choir Bee of the Week this semester is Maria Wollin ’20! Maria sets an outstanding example for the rest of the choir as she diligently rehearses our repertoire. Let’s learn a little bit more about Maria!

1. Where are you originally from? 
Lörrach, Germany--a little town in the southwest corner of the country.

2. What is your major? 
Music!

3. Who is your all-time favorite musical artist? 
Does Bach count? :)

4. What is a song that always gets stuck in your head? 
Anything we're doing in choir. Occasionally, something I did in choir years ago.

5. What is your favorite piece the Choir has performed this year? Why? 
O Salutaris Hostia by Ēriks Ešenvalds--it's absolutely gorgeous. I especially like how, even though it's basically a duet with choral accompaniment, the supporting voices still get to sing every single word.

6. Who is your personal hero/heroine? 

My grandmother. The legacy she's left--mainly in the form of my extended family, all of whom are stable, in touch, and strong in the faith we share--is more than I hope to rival, but I intend to try.

7. What is your favorite spot to hang out on campus? 
A certain choir friend's room... or the Chapel.

8. What is something you can’t live without? 
My glasses! I'm so nearsighted, I don't even take them off to read.

9. What’s your favorite food? 
Sugar beet syrup! Amazing on pancakes or really anything.

10. If you could have fancy brunch with anyone (living or dead) who would it be and why? 
Language barriers aside--the apostle Paul. One reason being that I'd love to ask him about his letters, but he would also just be an incredible person to meet.

11. What movie could you watch over and over? 
The Emperor's New Groove. Bring on the nostalgia.

12. If you could visit any place in the world, where would you go? 
Anywhere family is. Which, for me, is a lot of places. California, Colorado, Wisconsin, Texas, Maryland, Germany, Turkey...

13. What is your favorite thing about the Wellesley College Choir
The variety of music we do. I've had such fun both perfecting musical styles and languages I'm well familiar with and exploring totally new ones.

14. What is your favorite word? 
Doch. It's a German word that is both versatile and hard to define, but every native speaker knows exactly how it works. Meanings include "nevertheless," "though," and "after all," and it's also an affirmative when the other person assumes the negative; to the statement "You're not a musician," the response "doch" means "Actually, I am."

15. Something people wouldn’t guess by looking at you is: 
I write poetry! But never free verse, and rarely as a mode of self-reflection or expression. More like funny sonnets for people's birthdays.

Comments

Popular Posts